FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
07 July 2017
“What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead.” – Nelson Mandela.
To commemorate this year’s Mandela Day, members of the ACTIVATE! Change Drivers Network, “Activators,” from different parts of the country will be carrying out various initiatives to give back to their communities during the month of July. These young change makers are calling out for help from the public to help make their Mandela Day and July initiatives a success.
– Siphesihle Bhengu will be painting a school on 18 July and needs paints and brushes. He will also be distributing food parcels. Contact: 061 300 7763.
– Melusi Mhlaba will be hosting a dialogue on Youth and Volunteerism on the 20 and 21 July along with a workshop on conflict management. He needs assistance with light refreshments and branding. Contact: 062 006 8767.
– Nomfundo Mkhaba of Door To Door Foundation needs assistance with paint and paint brushes. She will be painting Magabeni Primary School on 18 July. Contact: 076 619 4036.
– Sikhethuxolo Nxumalo from Hammarsdale will be hosting an event on 29 July to entertain and reward underprivileged children in his community. He needs financial assistance. Contact: 063 732 2287.
– Wandiswa Dlamini, Zethu Khanyile and Nolwazi Majola will be volunteering at Wylie House, a care centre for disadvantaged girls. They would like to donate sanitary pads and cosmetics to the girls and need your help in doing so. Contact: 082 319 6144.
– Aphelele Gumede from Mtubatuba will be hosting an event on the 21 July for physically challenged people in her community. He hopes to handover 10 Wheelchairs, 200 t-shirts and is in need of sponsorship for refreshments. Contact: 072 472 4447.
– Noluthando Thobekile Nene from Savannah Park will be hosting an event on 18 July. The event is part of an awareness campaign to improve the health status and condition of the people of Savannah Park as many of them have ill health. She needs volunteers and assistance with refreshments. Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
– Nthabiseng Makoa will be hosting an awareness event on 18 July to encourage young people to commit to bringing change in the community of Kwasabisa in the Zululand Region. Makoa wishes to be sponsored with refreshments and branding. Contact: 083 725 6897.
– Afikile Tshona runs an NPO, Senzakahle and will be hosting an event called Men to Men on 22 July in Claremont to promote social cohesion among men in that area. Tshona would appreciate assistance with refreshments, banners and flyers for the event. Contact: 0780334149/0318253022.
– Nondumiso will be facilitating a mini seminar for the Durban LGBTI community on 20 July with ANOVA Health Institute (Health 4 Men project). The event will be held on Pinewood Park, Pinetown and will look at gender identity and expression. Contact 084 772 8921.
-Xolisile Malgas will be hosting a career expo in Mdantsane on 26 July. He needs financial assistance to cover transportation costs for the attendees. Contact: 074 463 1394.
– Nomfuzo Tulumane from Ngqeleni needs a donation of 22 pairs of schools shoes. She will hand these over to disadvantaged children in her community on 18 July. Contact: 060 473 8827.
– Sindile Mahambehlala, Nokonwaba Majavele, Khanya Gengqe and Nosicelo Mayekiso from Ngqeleni will host an event on 18 July to distribute pens, sanitary towels, gardening equipment, paint, brushes and serve finger snacks. They would appreciate any form of donation. Contact: 071 967 7076.
– Sipho Gadayi from Barkly East will be giving an under resourced local high school a facelift and resources on 18 July. He needs paint, brushes, paper, cleaning agents, office desks, office chairs, printer, photocopy machine and three desktop computers. Gadayi would appreciate any kind of assistance. Contact: 083 352 0889.
– Muzi Nduku from Mbizana will be hosting a sport tournament / arts and culture event in his rural community. He would like to be assisted with four soccer balls, soccer kits for two teams, netball kits for seven teams as well as prizes for the winning teams. Contact: 078 748 9538.
– Abongile Davani from East London will be facilitating a reading session with Nali Bali on 18 July as a way of promoting literacy among children of school going age. Davani is currently working with seven schools in Willowvale and aims to spread his initiative to the greater Eastern Cape. She needs assistance with refreshments and transportation. Contact: 072 141 1383.
– Ntombizine Mfundisi from Mqanduli will be distributing sanitary towels to school children on the 18 July. She needs 200 packs of sanitary towels. Contact: 078 002 8941.
– Khanyisa Mabece and Likhona Peter from Alice need assistance with branding and bottled water for about 80 people as they will be convening a dialogue at the Fort Hare University on 21 July. The dialogue will be on abduction of young girls, women abuse and transformation in institutions of higher learning. Contact: 072 867 5980.
-Siya Jonas will be hosting a fun day, ‘Fun 4 Kids’, for orphaned children in Mandela Bay on 31 July at Limekhaya High School and Ilinge Primary School. In addition to entertaining the orphaned children, the event seeks to make them feel safe in a world that devalues and harms children on a daily basis. Furthermore, Jonas aims to mentor the children and empower them with life skills to cope with the challenges of life. Jonas needs assistance with food parcels and clothing to donate to the children. Contact: 073 431 8152.
– Makhi Nobhozoyi will be hosting an event at an old age home in Zwide Township on 18 July. At the event, he will be planting a vegetable garden and giving a motivational talk. Nobhozoyi would appreciate any kind of support. Contact: 073 789 1961.
-Zenande Mthwezi and Khanya will be hosting a sporting event on 21 July in Milton Mbekela High School in Qunu. At the event, motivational speakers will be encouraging young people to be active citizens throughout the year, and not wait for Mandela Day to give back. Mthwezi and Khanye need refreshments for the event attendees. Contact: 073 736 5323.
– Silindile Ncube from Cape Town will be having a 67 minutes cleanup on 18 July in Durbanville. Ncube needs additional hands to help with the cleaning. Contact: 072 447 6787
– Shanon Tabane has been selected for a leadership program and needs R70000 to be able to attend it. Contact: 076 938 9891
– Monica Thulisile Bhuda will be hosting a career exhibition on 08 July in Kwaggafontein, KwaNdebele. Bhuda’s aim is to help matric students in that area to make informed decisions regarding the careers they wish to pursue upon completing their secondary studies. Contact: 073 388 1148.
For the rest of the year, the Activators will continue to lead various dialogues, community based engagements and projects of public benefit to speak about the pertinent issues that plague the youth of South Africa. Activators are #CommittedToChange by being mobile vehicles of change that stop at nothing to see transformation realised.
The #CommittedToChange campaign seeks to encourage young people to continuously take small but meaningful steps every day as their contribution towards the strengthening of a nation whose foundation has been shaken over the years. The campaign seeks to reach those in marginalized spaces, the differently abled and the excluded in the daily existence of inclusivity and freedom. Through these events and initiatives the Activators are answering to that call every day.
NOTES FOR EDITORS:
ACTIVATE! Change Drivers is a network of 2000 young change makers or “Activators” across South Africa who are finding innovative ways to transform their communities and the country as a whole. The Network connects these young people and equips them with necessary knowledge and skills to thrive in their respective efforts.
Issued by ACTIVATE! Change Drivers. For more information please visit www.activateleadership.co.za
For media related queries, please contact:
Communications/PR : ACTIVATE! Change Drivers
Email: email@example.com (cc: communications@localhost)
Cell: 078 255 3378