The ACTIVATE! Community Development Certificate Course has been designed and aligned with the South African Qualification Authority (SAQA) National Certificate Community Development NQF Level 5.
What is the Community Development Certificate Course?
Many Activators are effectively community development workers yet few have a formal qualification. The ACTIVATE! Community Development Certificate course is accredited by the SAQA and is a nationally recognised post matric / tertiary qualification.
The Course content is drawn from South African and international best practise and aims to enhance graduates’ abilities and capacities to be effective change agents and change drivers for an equitable fair and just humanity. Participants in the course will have an opportunity to reflect critically on their work, gain deeper skills and knowledge and yes, obtain that important piece of paper that validates their work.
Activators who have been members of the Activate network for one year or more are edible to apply for admission into the course. Currently the intake number is limited to a maximum of 45 however we hope to be able to increase our intake number over time.
Applicants are required to complete a pre-course assignment.
The qualification states that learners accredited with this qualification will be able to:
- Demonstrate a critical understanding of community development theories, approaches, principles and processes that can be applied within various community development contexts.
- Conduct community-based research to inform community development interventions.
- Examine and apply the relevant legal and regulatory framework to facilitate sustainable and integrative community development.
- Explore and co-ordinate networks and partnerships, with due regard to diversity, in pursuit of meeting community requirements in an ethical manner.
- Plan, design and manage a community intervention.
- Select and apply appropriate leadership and/or management styles/models for the purpose of promoting community well-being.
AM I ELIGIBLE FOR THE COURSE
- You need to have been a member of the Activate network for a minimum of one year
- You need to have passed your matric and in particular have a pass in both in Math or Math’s literacy and Englishor
- a Further Education and Training certificate qualification
DURATION AND DELIVERY OF THE COURSE
The duration of the course is 12 months.
The 3 modules will be presented over 12 months in periodic sessions lasting 4 – 7 days. These sessions will be a mixture of residential and non-residential.
- Activate! will cover the accommodation and meals costs for the residential sessions ONLY
- Activators will be expected to organise their own accommodation in the area, as well as meals except lunch for all he non-residential sessions.
LOCATION OF THE TRAINING
The sessions will be presented in nodes, i.e. Western Cape, Inland (including learners from North-West, Gauteng, Limpopo and Northern Cape provinces) and KZN (E-Cape, Mpumalanga, Free State and KZN provinces).
Activate will subside the travel cost of participants who have to travel more than 50km to reach the training venue
LEARNERS ARE EXPECTED TO:
- Attend all sessions;
- Apply what they have learned in class to their own community / community work (most of the assignments will require this);
- Submit formative assignments on time;
- Write Summative Assessments (“exams”);
- Comply with all SAQA / NQF regulations and requirements.
All applicants are urged to ensure that they will have the time to attend sessions as well as do the necessary course work between sessions (practicals and assignments). Current full-time students should especially consider the considerable time commitment required for this course.
The following needs to be paid by the learners once accepted onto the course:
- A registration fee (once-off and only to be paid once accepted) and
- A monthly fee.
ONCE ACCEPTED THE LEARNERS WILL BE EXPECTED TO:
- Sign an acceptance letter;
- If employed, have the permission letter signed by the employer;
- Submit certified copies of the following: matric certificate or any other accepted NQF level 4 qualification, ID and any other documentation as required by SAQA / NQF regulations